Friday 26 July 2013

Nails of the Week: Summer Diagonal Tip Manicure

Happy Friday loves!!

I usually find myself wanting to do my nails around the end of every week, I guess it's my own mental schedule to make sure my nails are on point for the weekend! This week I was thinking about two of summers biggest colour trends - Bright Coral and Light Teal - so I decided to combine the colours and make some sort of design for this weeks manicure.


The colours I decided on were this lovely "Summer Coral" Nail Polish from H&M (I got this as a gift a couple years back) and I brought out my "Pistachio Cream" Nail Laquer (Baking Beauties Collection) by MAC Cosmetics. I wanted to do something different than just painting my ring finger a different colour from the rest and French manicure seemed a little boring for these bold, fun colours. The first thing that came to mind was cheetah, but I am saving that for a different and special occasion. Second thing that came into mind was a diagonal French manicure, but I wanted to do it with my own flare and do a really thin transition tip as apposed to the chunkier tip as mostly seen with this style.

I choose the light teal as my base as I thought that the coral would really pop and chose my ring finger (as usual!) as my transition nail. Now that I had it all set and planned out, I got started.

As every time I do my nails, I get my nails ready by removing any old nail polish and making sure my nail beds are clean and free of debris. I didn't shape my nails this time as I they are still shaped the way I like from my last manicure, but I did do a little cuticle cleaning. I applied petroleum jelly (Vaseline) around my nail beds to make clean up easy later, making sure not to get any on my nail beds. I made sure I had the time to commit to this manicure, about an hour before I really had to do anything - so I was good to go!





















I started with my first coat...


And a second...


And a third...

Both polishes needed three coats for opaqueness and to even out the streaks. Both colours look much different worn and dry then they do in the bottle. Pistachio Cream dries to a baby blue (looses some of its seafoam green-ness) and Summer Coral dries to a more bright red orange (a noticeably darker shade of coral than in the bottle). For both nail polishes, I found that you needed to have a lot of product in the brush applicator to be able to work with the product. A drier brush with less polish will cause tugging and textured streaking.

For the transition diagonal tips, I used just regular household scotch tape. I made sure that my nails were completely dry before adhering the tape to the fresh polish, this is to avoid the fresh polish to come off along with the tape. I chose to do the right side corner/ tip, so I stuck the tape on a slant and made sure that it would cover most of my nail bed - allowing for the diagonal tip to almost reach the middle of my nail edge but not reach the middle of the nail edge. Once I had the tape in the right angle I painted 3 coats of the transition colour, making sure that the base colour does not peek through.

I don't let the transition colour completely dry before removing the tape, this way it's still liquid-y and some of it won't lift with the tape, I find it gives a cleaner edge. Once the transition tips are dry, I painted on a coat of my OPI Top Coat to even out the texture and smooth out the polish.





















I had gotten this Glycholic Hand Scrub by Julep with my Julep June Box and I have been using it ever since. I use it about 1-2 times a week and usually after my nail polish has completely dried. The best thing about this product (besides how soft your hands feel after!) is the smell!! OMGEEEeee!! IT SMELLS AMAZING!! Once my polish is dry, apply the scrub and it helps get off any polish that's on the skin around the nail bed, while exfoliating and softening the rest of my hands. After rinsing, I just pat dry and let the excess air dry.









Usually after usung an exfoliating product, I have to make sure I apply a super moisturizing hand lotion. this helps protect the new skin and makes hands even softer! Hands age much like your face does, it only makes sense to exfoliate and mosturize them like you would your face. I am using this Herbacin "Kamille" Hand Cream, its very buttery and has glycerine to protect skin and keep moisture in.











And voila!




Cute, edgy, fun, summer manicure that's super easy and everyone can do on their downtime - no more visits to the nail salon (for now)! This design gives me a pop-art feeling, it could be the colour combination too, but I feel like I should hang up some Andy Warhol! It's also David Bowie-esque.

Do you like to combine bright colours or trendy colours for you manicures? Would you try out this style or colour combination on your next manicure? I would love to know what you think in the comments section below!! Show me you manicures with this style or colour combination on Twitter and Instagram by tagging your uploaded photos to #makeupmasochist !! I'm excited to see what you beauties come up with :).

For more nail art and manicure ideas, be sure to subscribe to my blog with your email and it will notify you in future manicure posts! You can also follow my blog on Bloglovin', just click on the icon on the top right corner of the page to follow. For more daily photos and videos, and a look into my day-to-day life - follow me on Insatgram (@fernonje). If you have any questions or suggestions on future manicure posts, email me makeupmasochist@gmail.com !

Have a good weekend!

xoxo
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment