Wednesday 26 June 2013

Toronto's Best: The Cupcake Shoppe

Toronto is such an amazing city to explore, there's so many businesses out there offering anything and everything you can think of! I want to showcase some of what I think are Toronto's little gems, the best in food, hospitality and services.


For the first installment of "Toronto's Best", I want to showcase what I think is our best Cupcake Shop in Toronto that I have visited and eaten at so far. Now, I have been on my own personal mission to find the best cupcake shop in Toronto for about 2 years and have tried many from many different bakeries. One rule of thumb that I've learned about cupcake shops, in general, is that the smaller the business - the better the product. I've learned that I enjoy the products produced at small bake shops rather than the products made in mass for chained or franchised bake shops. The less people have heard of it, the better the taste, I find.

So needless to say I was thrilled to stumble upon "The Cupcake Shoppe" on Yonge. This little love affair had started about a year ago, we were on Yonge to watch a movie and after the movie we were in the mood for a coffee with something sweet. Just a little North on Yonge, we found this quaint little shoppe with an amazing display of deliciousness in the window. Since we are always on the look out for Toronto's best cupcake, to pass up the opportunity would not be justified! We had to go in!

The shop is very cute and gives you that vintage cake shop feel, without feeling like its shoved down your throat. It's not pink or overdone with cute stuff, it actually makes you feel like its the real deal and gives you a real sense of nostalgia.

Every time I've gone in, I've dealt with different associates and all have been super helpful and enthusiastic about their products. When the staff is genuinely interested in their own products, it lets you know that the product is good. My first purchase, I was apprehensive - only after being so disappointed with some other hyped up bake shops in the past, but the staff made me feel confident in my choices. There's always plenty of variety and cupcake flavours that everyone can enjoy. I always like to take a few cupcakes home, usually different flavours to try them all!

When we got home and tried their cupcakes for the first time, we were ecstatic and excited to try flavour after flavour! With each cupcake we ate, it made us more and more excited to try the next flavour! What really made these cupcakes so addicting is that they taste home made. All natural, from scratch, a "just baked with grandma" taste and texture. I have yet to have a dry cupcake from this shop and I doubt I ever will!

I want to showcase 3 of my favourite flavours, but keep in mind that they have more than 25 flavours on their roster!


Pretty in Pink Cupcake




















This is a raspberry buttercream on a raspberry or chocolate cupcake. I prefer the raspberry cake over the chocolate, only because the raspberry cake is so yummy - even on its own! With the raspberry buttercream it's a piece of pink heaven!  The raspberry chocolate combination is super decadent!



James Brown Cupcake




















This is a chocolate buttercream on a chocolate cupcake. The chocolate buttercream is delicious and topped on a moist, rich chocolate cake. Feels naughty-er than devils food cake! A definite must try for the chocolate lovers out there!



Lemon Drop Cupcake




















This is a lemon cake topped with a lemon frosting. The frostings are sweeter than the buttercreams, which are creamier. This is my favourite cupcake of the three that I am showcasing. I think what makes this cupcake work so well is the frosting, a buttercream will mask the tartness of the lemon and its the tartness that I love about this cupcake! The lemon cake is nice and light too. So tasty and refreshing at the same time!



Like I said, there are so many great flavours to choose from and they also specialize in making cakes and cupcakes for special occasions. For more information on their flavour menu and services, please be sure to visit the website below:

http://www.thecupcakeshoppe.ca

They have opened another location in Vaughn, in case it might be too hard for you to get downtown. I know this will be a new favourite place to treat yourself after your first visit. It's my favourite way to treat myself or celebrate something special with someone special.  I hope it will be on the tops of your Toronto's best list, or if you are like me - always looking for the perfect cupcake shop, The Cupcake Shoppe is a must try! You will not be disappointed!

If you like food blogs and reviews, be sure to subscribe to my blog for more reviews and urban living. If there is a place or shop that you would like to recommend or request a review for, please let me know in the comments box below! Don't forget to share your experience with The Cupcake Shoppe and let me know what your favourite flavour is!

For more daily photos, videos and posts - be sure to follow me on Instagram (@fernonje) and you can also follow my blog on Bloglovin' (Makeupmasochist). Be sure to email me with any questions or requests makeupmasochist@gmail.com, I love to hear from my readers!

Heres a little cupcake love in action! (Cupcake shown is their Cookie D'Ough Cupcake):

Serious Sugar Rush!

xoxo
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment